44 Days Honoring Black History: "Telling Our Own Stories"
This SMC Library Research Guide is a collection of resources related to Black History. The Research Guide has been created to accompany the SMC Black Lives Matter Subcommittee's 2021 44 Days: Honoring Black History.
The Saint Mary’s College Archives collects, preserves, and provides access to records, publications, and other documents pertaining to the history of the College.
The College Archives was created to collect and preserve these documents and to serve the research needs of the College community and the public. The collections include documents dating from the founding of the College in 1863 in San Francisco, through its relocation to the “Brickpile” campus in Oakland in 1889, to its move to the Moraga campus in 1928 and up to the present.
The College Archives is located on the third floor of Saint Albert Hall Library. Access the the College Archives is available by appointment only. Email the College Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LaRoy Doss played basketball at Saint Mary's from 1956 - 1959. He was the first African-American player in Saint Mary's College history and their first to be named West Coast Conference player of the year. He later became a trustee of the College.
In 1972 the College contracted with American Management Training Services Corporation "to assess, evaluate and make recommendations regarding the minority programs at St. Mary's College." Reactions to the report and controversy concerning minority students and faculty on campus were strong. Some of these are included in the Report; others are in the accompanying file.
On April 5, 1988, Brother President Mel Anderson announced the establishment of the President's Task Force on Minority Presence. The task force was created to consider the issue of minority presence in all of its dimensions in the SMC community and to recommend a course of action for the College to pursue.
The Yearbook of the (undergraduate) College was published annually from 1923 to 2007 with interruptions. It began publication in Oakland as "The Collegian" from 1922 to 1928. In 1929 with the move to Moraga its name was changed to "The Gael" or the "Saint Mary's College Gael."